Reviews And Emails Like This Keep Me Going

By Fox (Charleston SC) - This review is from: Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity (Paperback)
As a former fundamentalist Christian of 26 years, I shudder to think what my life may have turned out like, had I not randomly spotted this book at my local Good Will. I picked it up, expecting to have a good laugh at the stupid atheist. I never expected it would completely alter my life forever.

When I picked up this book I was 100% certain that the Bible was the infallible word of God. When I finished it, I was 90% on my way to complete Atheism. All it took to get me to 100% were a few You Tube videos about the "big bang" and evolution. Once I realized that these "theories" were actually equatable to scientific certainties, I was a full-on Atheist.

I won't bore you with my life story, but up until I read this book, I had never read anything (except comics) that I was not forced to read. But after reading this book, I now have an insatiable thirst for knowledge, especially science. I have read 2 Hawking books, 1 Dawkins book (about evolution, not atheism), 1 Shermer book, and now I am trying to teach myself physics. YAY!

Christianity has a way of making you feel like you already have all the knowledge you need, so you end up FEELING really smart without actually knowing much about ANYTHING! Not anymore, baby! I've got a new "holy trinity" now; Logic, Skepticism, and SCIENCE!

Link

0 comments: