What if I Personally Witnessed a Miracle?

Jayman asked me,
So if I've witnessed/experienced a miracle do I have to take the OTF?...I'm not interested in arguing that I have experienced a miracle. I am interested in whether you believe a person should take the OTF if they have experienced a miracle. Does such a person get a "free pass" so to speak?...For the sake of my question assume no natural explanation can be found and no materialistic explanation seems plausible even in principle.
I have said that it would take a personal miracle for me to believe. I didn't say what kind of miracle nor did I comment on the other things that would have to accompany that miracle. Let me do so now.

I should at least comment that the hypothetical that Jayman proposes is far outside the bounds of what I consider probable, but nonetheless, I'll grant it.

Let's say the miracle was an anonymous one, like the resurrection of my cousin Steve Strawser, who died at 58 alone in the woods of a massive heart attack, or the skeptic Ken Pulliam who died in October. I would believe in a supernatural reality, yes, but an anonymous one. I don't think I could conclude anything different. But it would be an anonymous god who did it. I could not conclude much about this god other than that he could raise the dead. You see, it's assumed that in America the Christian god does miracles because he is America's territorial god. But why couldn't a different god in another part of the globe be credited with the miracle(s) done here in our land? I wouldn't know if Allah or Yahweh did it or any number of other gods or goddesses, you see. It could even be a trickster god. I wouldn't know what he or she wants me to believe, or even if it's required of me to believe at all. Nor would I know what this god wants me to do.

So I would need more than a miracle, even though that scenario is already far fetched to begin with.

But let's say that along with such a miracle I am told by this deity to believe exactly the way Jayman does about Christianity. That presumes even more than that a miracle occurred, since there are so many brands of Christianity around, some accusing the others of heresy. Would I believe then?

What I wrote elsewhere in a different context applies to some degree so I'll quote it now:
The belief system that the initial evidence supports is to be considered part of the evidence itself, and as such, it should be included when examining the whole case. If, for instance, the evidence supported accepting militant Islam, where I am called upon to kill people who don't believe, then I must make a choice between the initial evidence that led me to believe and that belief system itself. And such a belief system, even if the evidence initially supported it, renders that evidence null and void. I would have to conclude that I misjudged the initial evidence, or that I'm being misled, or something else. In other words, a rejection of such a belief system like militant Islam trumps the evidence, for I cannot conceive of believing it unless the evidence is completely overwhelming, and there is no such thing as overwhelming evidence when it comes to these issues.
So, if I experienced a personal miracle I would require more than just that to believe in Jayman's god. I have so many objections to the Bible and the biblical god I would have to reconcile what I know with what this deity told me to believe. I cannot even understand why any god would require me to believe in the first place! At that point I would be forced to chose between Jayman's god and a trickster conception of god, and the trickster god would have to be my choice given what I know.

Or, as I said in that other post:
If I was convinced Christianity is true and Jesus arose from the grave, and if I must believe in such a barbaric God, I would believe, yes, but I could still not worship such a barbaric God. I would fear such a Supreme Being, since he has such great power, but I'd still view him as a thug, a despicable tyrant, a devil in disguise; unless Christianity was revised.
Keep in mind I'm responding to a hypothetical that doesn't seem to me to have a remote chance of ever happening to begin with (a miracle plus being told to believe as Jayman does). But even if this took place I would have these additional problems.

0 comments: