Christianity is a Cultural By-Product And That's All It Is

The history of human understanding shows us that human understanding evolves in each generation in a respective culture. Sometimes there are set backs but it continues to evolve. I cannot prove that this means Christianity in all of its forms is a delusion. I can only point out that theology parallels other disciplines of learning since it too has evolved down through the generations, and it has, making Christianity nothing more nor less than a cultural phenomena created by human beings for other human beings.

I could show how theological ideas have evolved like Biblical cosmology, God, Jesus, Satan, Hell, theories of atonement, apocalyptic end time predictions, and how morality itself have all evolved down through history, easily. Those would be the historical facts.

I say this evolutionary development looks entirely like the human quest for knowledge--that it doesn't look as if there is any divine mind behind this human quest. If Christians had faith in any particular era of the past they would believe what they did and that God led them to their beliefs. In this era they say what they do because they live in this era. And although they would reject the theologies and moralities of the past they still think there is a divine mind behind this quest. So there would be no way of disconfirming what they think about this, except to point it out. You either see it or you don't. For me it's plain as day.

We could therefore apply Flew's falsifiability test here, not for whether theology is meaningless, but whether its truth is probable. Christian, you believe what you do now. But it is patently obvious that what you believe now is not what the earliest Christianities did, nor the what the Medievals did, nor what the early moderns did, and it won't be what future Christianities will believe either. You say there is continuity but we must ask if earlier Christianities would embrace you or excommunicate and kill you for what you believe, and we know the answer to that. The same thing will be the case for future Christianities if the past is any guide to the future (and if not, why not?).

So no matter what a Christian believes in whatever time period he lives, so long as it's considered orthodoxy by the majority of his cultural grouping and no matter how small his cultural grouping is, he could still say that God is behind his current evolved understanding of theology. What could therefore falsify any Christian's belief in his cultural grouping when I point out that it just looks like the human quest for the transcendent? It obviously looks like it evolves just like all human understanding has done. But any Christian of the past, present or future would say, "no, God is behind this process." There is nothing that could falsify this claim.

Where is God? I can understand that if God exists he would want his people to learn and grow deeper in their understanding of him and of theology and ethics as time goes by. But why would such a God be pleased with the kind of ignorance that believers have had which caused them to do atrocities in his name?

What I’m arguing is this: "If Christianity is a matter of supernatural revelation then we should not see THE EXTENT OF evolutionary development in its understanding or evidence that it is a social phenomenoa." The book The Evolution of God shows this most effectively. I did a review of it on Amazon. It's a great book.

By contrast the Christian mode of argument is this: “No matter what we see in the past with regard to the development of theology, what Christians in my particular sect have been led to believe is from God.” That is highly dubious given the many other different religious people around the world who would say the same thing.

You see, there is historical evidence that before there were the monotheistic faiths there were beliefs in elemental spirits, puppeteers, organic spirits, ancestral spirits, and the high gods. When cities clashed the high gods were elevated to the status of one supreme God. There is ample evidence of this in the OT itself, in fact we see two Yahweh’s in it, plus an Elohim, Adoni, child atoning sacrifice, etc. And then there is the rich theological development in the inter-testamental period which further revised what the Jews believed, including views of hell, Satan, and apocalyptic hopes for a Messiah which were accepted by Jesus and the Pharisees. So it’s not true that Christianity was a completely new religion either. It too merely adapted from what was previously believed which included some Hellenistic ideas.

What we see is nothing but enculturaltion and revisionism as Christian groups blend with their respective cultures and/or break off from one another. As they do so each new Christian sect includes some innovation every single step along the way. But it's all culturally produced.

One way to see this is to ask how God could have revealed himself without it looking like a purely cultural by-product. There is plenty he could have done. Something like this. He could also have communicated with an eye on the future as I showed in chapter 7 for The Christian Delusion. His revelation would be entirely different from each culture; like condemning slavery way ahead of it's time, along with condemning trial by ordeals, child sacrifices, and so forth. The faith God revealed would be clearly distinct from other surrounding cultures by far. In fact, there would be things in it that would advance knowledge at every step of the way.

But this is emphatically NOT what we see. Christianity is a cultural by-product and that's all it is. So along with Pierre-Simon de Laplace we can say of the claim that there is a divine mind behind this whole theological process we “have no need of that hypothesis.”

In fact, I think I have solved the the Christian puzzle. Check it out.

8 comments:

Ross said...

Hello John,

Would you be able to clarify your comments about the practice of child sacrifice in the OT world?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ross, take a look at this.

Kev said...

Hello John,
I have been following your blog for a few weeks now and I really enjoy the thought-provoking issues that you discuss. With that said, I am an evangelical Christian who takes issue with how you portray all Christians as irrational and illogical just because they call themselves Christian. You seem to be trying to say that intelligent Christians (like Francis Collins and William Lance Craig) can be dismissed just because they believe in the Christian God.

I think that your disagreement with theists can be boiled down to one presupposition: you start with the assumption that there is no God and demand that theists prove His existence while considering things like death and suffering while theists start with the assumption that there is a God and defend their beliefs of an omniscient/omnibenevolent/omnipotent creator. Both views are internally consistent. If you start with a theistic view, then the Bible and the Christian God are completely coherent and rational. If you start with an atheistic view, then all religions are equally false and irrational. Both you (and all atheists) and I (and all theists) come into the debate with one of these presuppositions and interpret the same evidence. Just because one calls themself a Christian does not make them irrational or illogical. It just means that they are entering the debate with the assumption that there is a God.

Anonymous said...

Kevin, thanks for reading. WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE! I agree with you. That's why in the early part of my book Why I Became an Atheist you will read these words:

If I have a focus when it comes to debunking Christianity, it is with assumptions, presuppositions and control beliefs. Control beliefs are those beliefs that control how we view the evidence, and so this part of my critique is generally philosophical and epistemological in nature. I’m interested in how we know what we know. How we view that which we know is what makes all of the difference. Since how we each look at the evidence is controlled to a large degree by certain control beliefs of ours, I want to know how to justify those control beliefs themselves. For me it’s all about seeing things differently. It’s not just about more and more evidence. It’s about viewing that evidence in a different light.

How do we decide which set of control beliefs are preferable when looking at Christianity? That’s the biggest question of them all! Why? Because the set of control beliefs we start with when looking at the Bible is usually the same set we will come away with. I think I have better reasons for starting with my control beliefs, presuppositions, and biases, and I share them in this book. Anyone who investigates religion in general, or Christianity in specific, must begin with skepticism. Anyone who subsequently moves off the default position of skepticism has the burden of proof, since doing so is making a positive knowledge claim, and in the case of Christianity a very large knowledge claim that cannot be reasonably defended with the available evidence. This best expresses my set of control beliefs....Since I need sufficient reasons and sufficient evidence for what I believe, I have an anti-dogma, and an anti-superstitious bias. No inspired book will tell me what I should believe. My first question will always be “Why should I believe what this writer wrote?” This doesn’t mean that in the end I might not conclude there is a supernatural realm, only that I start out my investigations with such an assumption.

Christians will bristle at these control beliefs and cry “foul.” They will argue that if I start out with a predisposition against the supernatural, it predisposes me to reject their religious faith, and they are right. It does. They’ll claim that if instead I adopt a supernatural predisposition, I’ll be more likely to accept the Christian faith, and that too is correct. The crucial question then is, what reasons are there to justify adopting a skeptical rather than a believing set of control beliefs in the first place? This part of my book will deal with this question...


Check it out!

Ross said...

Thanks for the link. Just what I needed; more reading to do.

Beattie said...

Kevin, I'm glad that someone with faith can read an article like this and respond with both civility and intelligence.

I think it's worth noting that the debate is not between "theists" and "atheists". You, as an evangelical Christian, are an atheist in respect to Islam, Judaism, and every other religion. The only difference between your atheism and my atheism is the one religion that you believe to be true.

If you and I were to share ideas on all of the religions except for Christianity, we would probably share the same reasons for not believing in them. Our atheism in regards to those religions would probably be very similar.

Now, my explanations for my Christian atheism are the same as my explanations for my atheism in regards to all other religions. My question to you, is why are you an atheist in regards to all other religions except for Christianity?

Kev said...

Hi M.J.,
I think that this discussion is the most important discussion we can have as it effects so much of our life and it bothers me when people aren't civil. I respect others beliefs and know that they came to their beliefs after as much thought and introspection as I have come to mine.

As I said before, I come into the discussion with the presupposition that there is a God. That does not mean that I must believe in all religions equally. Most world religions are mutually exclusive: Hinduism and Buddhism are pantheistic, and Islam and Judaism believe that Jesus was a non-divine profit. From my reading, discussion, contemplation, and introspection, I have decided that the Christian worldview is the only explanation that fully accounts for all of the data. That means that all religions that contradict the required beliefs of Christianity (i.e. Jesus deity, death and resurrection) are incorrect in my worldview and I guess you could say that I am an atheist in relation to other religions' gods.

Unknown said...

"Judaism believe that Jesus was a non-divine profit"
==

Actually, no it doesn't.

Jesus is not mentioned at all in the TaNaKh. Not as a non-divine prophet, not as a non-for-profit divinity, not as a prophet of divine-profit. :)

Christianity is really a late Roman imperialist pagan construct, and that's what it was used for. It was used to expand and buttress the Roman Empire and the imperialist ambitions of its dictators. (This, to the severe detriment of strictly nationalist nation-states such as Judea).