My Response to J. L. Watts, You Must First Understand My Argument Before You Can Effectively Critique It

Yep, that's what I think, and I don't think he understands what it is enough to offer an effective critique, so this will probably be my last reply to him. We'll see...

You can follow what's going on right here. This is what I said in response:

Joel said:
Okay, then you envision a God who is still treating the human race as babies. Again, I fall back to say that your vision of God is not my vision of God.
Nope, once again my claim is that a good parent never gives a child responsibility until such time as that child can handle it. This is an analogy. We are not children. That’s the analogous part. If you don’t understand an argument you cannot effectively respond to it. God, being a good parent, should not give us as human beings more responsibility until such time as we can handle it, you see.

Joel said:
But, John, it has been resolved, just not to your liking.
Joel, what has been resolved? And again I want you to think, because everything I am saying calls into question why I should believe an ancient set of canonized documents along with you particular interpretation of them. Christians disagree on their interpretation of these texts, you see, so that means you not only have to defend these documents as authoritative but also your particular interpretation of them, which is one step farther removed from those ancient documents.

Joel said:
First, Christians have a duty to help relieve the horrific suffering. We are His instruments.
So what? How could any Christian help people who drank polluted water before they knew that doing so would kill them? Only God had that sort of knowledge and he let many people die from these sorts of things before we figured them out for ourselves. Only God could have helped and he didn’t. It does no good to help comfort the survivors of a lost loved one after that, you see. So if God placed this responsibility on the backs of Christians he didn’t give them the proper tools to help.

Your answer accords in a similar way with the Christian response that God waits to do things until people pray. Or, that he doesn’t save people without Christians first praying that he sends missionaries. You are blinded by your faith not see this as a cop out for why God just doesn’t do anything. No good person would wait to help others until they asked him to help, if there was a real need. Picture this: Some mother hates my guts and is just too stubborn to ask me to help her with her child who is dying. So I do nothing because she refuses to ask me? How could anyone describe me as a good person if I'm too stubborn to help until she grovels at my feet? And so, if God will not do anything to help until Christians pray, that makes absolutely no sense to me at all, especially if, unlike me, he’s a perfectly good God. The God you believe in is an egotist made up by ancient people and modeled after the kinds of kings they knew. If there is a need then it never matters to someone whom we wish to call a good person whether he’s asked to help or not, if the goal is to alleviate suffering rather than the desire to crow about what a good person he is, which can only remind us of the Pharisees.

Joel said:
Further, I also believe as a Christian any temporal suffering will be replaced by eternal rejoicing.
Two problems: Of the people who die from lead poisoning that I mentioned, don’t you think most of them went to hell, since only the few get into heaven? Aren’t you forgetting them? And wouldn’t you think that if someone was going to hell God would want to keep them alive for as long as possible since they might in the future get saved? Surely you cannot think for one second that no one who died prematurely would have ended up believing if they lived longer? Secondly, tell me this: Can anyone under any circumstances ever justify causing harm to others because later those victims will be compensated for their pain? If being compensated for one’s suffering justifies that suffering then a torturer who compensated his victims could torture at will. And it does not matter the kind of compensation either, for no matter what it is it cannot morally justify the harm caused.

Joel said:
[The] problem, John, is that you believe that only thinking Christians will thus become Atheists.
I never said that. I only want to force you to think.

Joel said:
You should allow that my life has not been a bed of roses, etc… and that many times, I have wondered the same thing, but in the end, my trust being in God, my faith is well founded.
Or, you have been brainwashed more than others. That is the other alternative.

Joel said:
I don’t like using the bible to discussing these things with atheists – unless it is needed, of course – because I realize that it doesn’t hold the same appeal to you. Yet, in the end, I can only give the answers of those who have gone on before.
And none of them make much sense when we actually think about them.

Joel said:
If God made us with Free Will, just as I believe He made the angels, and a divine spark, if you will, then it is our own responsibility which we take when we sin. When the First man sinned, he did so without faith. He didn’t need it. He knew nothing else but God and yet he sinned.
Would you please try to explain, not quote the Bible, why this should be accepted given my argument? I had said: “…if we all would have sinned then God is to be blamed for how he created us or for the test itself. But if instead some of us would not have sinned under the same initial conditions then there are human beings who have been punished for something they never would have done.”

But let’s back up a step, okay? If the angels along with Satan were in the unmediated presence of God and chose to rebel anyway would you kindly explain to me why they are not suicidal, pure evil, and dumber than a box of rocks? What reason would there be to rebel against Omnibenelovent love except that they were pure evil? And given that God is all powerful they had to be suicidal to rebel. More importantly if they thought they could succeed they were all dumber than a box of rocks to try. And yet you probably believe Satan was the smartest of all God’s creatures since an ancient set of texts said so to exonerate God from all the evils in our world. That just does not make any sense at all! Such a being simply does not exist because no being can be that dumb that evil and that suicidal all wrapped up into one.

Joel said:
Let’s say universalism, of some sort, had become the excepted doctrine of Christianity. (And trust me, it was considered valid by many) What then to your argument? What if in the end, those who teach an eternal hell are wrong? What if this life of ours is only a staging ground, and now that Christ has come, the sin brought about by one man has been removed by One as well?
Well, you tell me since Christians disagree. What do YOU think? In any event if universalism is the case there would be no motivation for evangelism and as far as I can tell from this I am saved too. Then why bother blogging at all? Why not enjoy life to the fullest rather than banter back and forth with an atheist like me? That makes no sense unless you don’t have much better things to do.

Joel said:
People have always walked away from various faiths, including our own. I would tend to believe in many who leave Christianity to become angry atheists – not all atheists are angry or anti-religious – do so because they lose faith. True? But in what did they place their faith?
When you stopped believing in Allah what did you replace your faith with? I know you probably never believed in Allah but that’s my point. I simply stopped believing. There was nothing to replace it with. I am a non-believer. That’s what I take as atheism, which simply means a non-theist, a non-believer. YOU are a non-believer in Allah, and Moroni so you too are an atheist. In fact Christians were called atheists in the 1st century because they didn’t believe in the gods and goddesses of Rome. I just reject one more god than you do for the same reasons you reject all other gods.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since Joel responded to this post down on that page let me repeat what I said in response:

Joel, I really don't think most Christians have thought deeply enough about the nature and value of free will. Take a look and see what you think. It's from a part of my book.

Although, this is not what I initially argued about. I had argued about lead poisoning, polluted water and poisonous creatures, natural evils basically.

Discussions like these are endless. In the end you are not actually dealing with my arguments. I'm asking you to think rather than regurgitate Christian dogma. I'm asking you to explain Christian dogma. All you end up doing is telling me what it is. I know what it is. I dispute it you see. Because, when we think about it, then it just doesn't make any sense. For you to respond that it's not supposed to make sense and that we're just to believe it, makes your God out to be duplicitous. For on the one hand he created us with minds that require us to think these things through, while on the other hand we're not supposed to use them.

Cheers.

Brad Haggard said...

John,

How exactly do you imagine God would have given us the knowledge? Would it be written revelation, instincts, or some sort of self-presenting knowledge?

If your argument is that we shouldn't be given the responsibility, then would He not let us use plumbing until we learned about lead poisoning? Would that not lead to potentially more suffering?

I sometimes give my girl some freedom (or responsibility) in order for her to "learn from her mistakes." I think she is better for it, but according to you, does that make me a bad parent?

Could God not have other reasons for "withholding" information other than just malice or incompetence? Are you presenting a false dichotomy with this argument?

I think your argument raises more questions than it can answer.

BTW, why did you not say the canonized documents were "barbaric and superstitious"?

Anonymous said...

Brad, I focus on one person at a time on this blog. That's all I can do. I have focused on you when it came to prayer. Now I'm focusing on Watts.

Cheers.

BK said...

Excellent questions, Brad. John thinks that we should all have been taught to run before being taught to walk at a time when we couldn't even crawl.

But I suppose this is the wrong forum for such a discussion.

Gandolf said...

Brad Haggard said..."How exactly do you imagine God would have given us the knowledge? Would it be written revelation, instincts, or some sort of self-presenting knowledge?"

You really think it would be so difficult or such a extremely big problem ?, for a omnipotent god who otherwise its said evidently even managed to create the whole universe etc

Brad Haggard said...

Gandolf,

I'm not saying God can't do any or all of those things, but they all have implications for John's argument.

Don't cover for him, let him respond.

Eric J.S. said...

@Brad
The concept of responsibility is not learning because why do we even have to learn. If your girl were to do something that would cause her great suffering, wouldn't you try to prevent it. Why a world that allows so much suffering? What is freewill if you already have dictums from God to follow, especially if you can most rationally disregard Christianity as another cult? If you want to argue about God withholding information, you have to prove he exists, which I suggest reading all the arguments on both sides. It is good if John's arguments raise questions because it means there is some reconciling of beliefs and rationalizing to do. Most answers theist give to these problems that I have seen on this site so far are just the same old "regurgitated Christian dogma", so the progress of debate will take some time. If you are going to contribute to this website, you have to play the game of trying to understand our point-of-view. I personally fear that you are brainwashed. Though I would not go around in any other forum discussing the weaknesses of many Christians' views, here I can. So if anything offends your Christian values, it was made for that sometimes. Mostly, I would be happy if you could take these questions about the fundamentals of human life as seriously as any philosopher. As Socrates once said, "The unexamined life is not a life worth living for a human being." As something I think Christians should analyze in their faith would be 2 Kings 2:24-25. You can read it in context if you wish, but it is a wierd set of verses for a "moral" religion.

Devin L said...

Brad,

So you are saying you let your daughter learn from her mistakes right? I understand that but what if you knew her mistakes would lead her to her death? Would you let her learn then? OF COURSE NOT!

Also free will doesn't answer suffering really at all. Why do people die, deserving or non-deserving, of things that are not within our control? You see free will only answers why people do bad things but that isn't the whole. Unless you think that God punishes people with plagues and natural disasters...

Steven Carr said...

Christians believe in a god who came to earth and told his friends how to get free money by looking in the mouth of a fish.

And then they claim this god can't be expected to tell his friends how to cure leprosy.

Christian logic :-
Free money, that is reasonable, it is in the Bible. Cure for leprosy, ridiculous, that would be stupid.

Samphire said...

But Stephen, the OT does have a cure for leprosy. I cannot give you the reference off the top of my head but you can find it easily enough.

Christian missionaries, though, would never use such a remedy because modern medicines are so much more efficacious. Unlike Jehovah's methods, they actually work.

Steven Carr said...

Aren't you supposed to wave chickens around?

Christians claim their god does not treat us like children.

Yet their Holy Book has this god allegedly dictating 11 or so chapters on how to make soft furnishings for the Ark of the Covenant.

Why does this God go into such great detail about how to make soft furnishings for the Ark, when allegedly , according to Brad 'How exactly do you imagine God would have given us the knowledge?'

Duh, if God can give the human race such long, tediously detailed, and boring instructions on how to make curtains for the Ark, then why can Brad not even imagine how his god can communicate how to cure leprosy?

Anonymous said...

Brad and BK, don't you know me better by now? Just because I don't respond to an argument does not mean I can't. Next time don't challenge me or I may just remind you of my recent post, okay?

Gandolf said...

Steven Carr said... "Duh, if God can give the human race such long, tediously detailed, and boring instructions on how to make curtains for the Ark, then why can Brad not even imagine how his god can communicate how to cure leprosy?"

Maybe gods think the cover-up`s much more important?

Samphire said...

In the Noah's days, if you got leprosy, it was curtains for you.

BK said...

John,

There are lots of arguments you think you have made a good response to that you haven't at all. But I do agree that there are lots of arguments that have been made to me that I don't respond to and it isn't because I didn't. Nevertheless, Brad's argument is on point with what you wrote and I don't recall seeing you use the "I'm only arguing with one person at a time" ploy before, so I was just commenting that skeptics don't generally understand his point.

Steven Carr said...

SO BK thinks it perfectly sensible for his imaginary god to tell people , in tedious detail, how to make soft furnishings for an Ark.

Or how to get free money by looking in the mouth of a fish.

But BK thinks it would be absurd for his Jesus to have explained that mental illness is not caused by demons.

After all, how could Jesus have know that, when his scriptwriters didn't even know it?

Joseph Hinman (Metacrock) said...

Carr's argument is just based upon incredulity. He seems something in an ancient text that's obviously based upon the understanding of the people that wrote it he's content to believe that proves they can't have any deeper insight their the aggregate stupidity. That proves to him that no deeper motivations or inspirations are involved than what's there on the surface.

when anyone points out something deeper his basic argument is "I refuse to believe it therefore, its' not true."

Steven Carr said...

I see that Metacrock is not bothering with arguments.

All he does is denounce people who are incredulous that adult people take seriously the story of his god coming to earth and telling his friends how to get free money by looking in the mouth of a fish.

Sorry, Metacrock, but you are sensible as people who scold people who think the story of Jack and the Beanstalk is fantasy.


You might be proud of your ability to believe that your god told the Israelites in chapter after boring chapter how to make soft furnishings for the Ark of the Covenant, complete with gold decorations.

But why do you want to embarrass yourself in public by saying so?

Scott said...

Brad wrote: How exactly do you imagine God would have given us the knowledge? Would it be written revelation, instincts, or some sort of self-presenting knowledge?

Brad,

You seem to be assuming that it's impossible or unreasonable for God to provide knowledge about our environment. Therefore he has no argument. But I think John's argument goes beyond this, as theists claim God designed and created human beings and our environment as well.

To illustrate this, I'll use an analogy of how the potentially problematic physical state of an removable drive with no media inserted is resolved in two major computer operating systems.

In Windows, Microsoft's solution was to display a dialog that said "Please insert a disk into drive X" when a user clicked on a drive without any media inserted. This includes situations when the user accidentally clicked on a empty drive instead of a fixed drive (which always has media) or a removable drive that had media inserted.

The problem is this can be confusing to some people, as they may think the dialog indicated a program or the operating system actually needed a blank disk for some unknown operation (like saving a file or making a backup) rather than a poorly designed "alert" to warn them they had clicked on an empty drive.

You might ask, what else is Microsoft supposed to do? How how exactly do you think Microsoft could communicate this information in a better way? Should they put a robotic arm on all computers that automatically inserts a disk for the user when they click on an drive with no media inserted to prevent the problem?

No, I don't except this at all. The "better" solution, used in Mac OS X, is to simply change the environment presented to the user so removable drives with no media are not visible to the user and only display them when media is inserted. So, rather than attempt to communicate a potentially confusing error message to the user, Apple solved the problem at a lower level by removing the need for the error dialog completely.

This may seem trivial to you, but it's an example of good design.

Unfortunately, most people assume that being bombarded with confusing error dialogs is a necessary part of using a computer. However, this is one example of where this sort of problem can be completely avoided using good design. If fact, good design is often overlooked because, well, good design should be transparent. So, while not everyone can put their finger on good design, you know it when it's absent.

How is this related to your comment? If it's such a problem for God to give us the knowledge to avert a particular state or condition in our environment, this is a symptom of a deeper "design" problem which needs to be resolved at a lower level.

Supposedly, God intentionally designed human beings with exactly five senses, a specific capacity for knowledge, etc. And supposedly God intentionally designed our environment. So, when you ask, How exactly do you imagine God would have given us the knowledge? you seem to be overlooking a number of lower level design choices God supposedly made that resulted in this the very communication problem you've brought up.

To summarize, why would God put us in an environment which has dangers he cannot communicate to us due to limitations he intentionally designed into us? How is this responsible?

Edwardtbabinski said...

MARK TWAIN QUOTATION

The best minds will tell you that when a man has begotten a child he is morally bound to tenderly care for it, protect it from hurt, shield it from disease, clothe it, feed it, bear with its waywardness, lay no hand upon it save in kindness and for its own good, and never in any case inflict upon it a wanton cruelty. But God did not forgive the ignorant and thoughtless first pair of juveniles even their first small offense and say, “You may go free this time, I will give you another chance.” On the contrary! He elected to punish their children, all through the ages to the end of time, for a trifling offense committed by others before they were born. He is punishing them yet. In mild ways? No, in atrocious ones.

Mark Twain, Letters from the Earth
____________________________

God threw his first two children out of the house (in this case a garden) after their first mistake, and barred their way back with a flaming sword? How many fathers would treat their children that way after their first mistake? And what a way to treat “newborns” who were also “newlyweds.” Maybe Adam and Eve simply forgot to floss after eating God’s precious fruit, and no father will stand for that, not if He’s a dentist.

E.T.B.
____________________________

He went to all this effort to make a perfect creation then loaded it with a big self-destruct switch… Adam’s action had no effects in and of itself, save that it angered God. God took the situation further and cursed creation and thereby created the circumstances for all future misery and hardships. Had God responded just a little differently (to say nothing of more maturely and judiciously), He could have spared billions of people, not to mention Himself, a whole lot of trouble and heartache. The sin of Adam was nothing compared to the sin of God in cursing creation. If you want to blame anyone, blame God for overreacting and for rigging his own creation to fail.

Bruce Wildish