A Review of Who Was Jesus? by Acharya S

Who Was Jesus?: Fingerprints of the Christ, by D.M. Murdock (a.k.a Acharya S) is a provocative look into what we can know about Jesus. In this 181 page book Murdock provides a good overview of gospel criticism, considering the number of pages it contains. She begins by taking us through the four gospels and noting some of the discrepancies between them. Such things as chronological discrepancies and failed attempts to harmonize stories like the raising of Jairus’ daughter, the anointing of Jesus with oil in Simon’s house, and the sermon on the mount (Matthew) with the sermon on the plain (Luke) leads her to conclude that we are not dealing with “factual history,” and she is absolutely correct about this. She rightly argues that what we have are error filled copies of the New Testament documents, and attempts to harmonize the four accounts are implausible.

She argues against conventional wisdom by claiming the four gospels were written much later than is normally supposed. Mainline scholarship doesn’t think any of the four Gospels were written after 120 A.D. Conservative scholarship argues that the synoptic gospels were written before 70 A.D., while John’s Gospel was written around 95-100 A.D (a minority argue that John's Gospel was written before 70 A.D.). Murdock however, argues the four canonical gospels were all written between 170-180 A.D., with the Gospel of Luke written first, rather than the Gospel of Mark. Hardly any scholar thinks Luke was written first. Textual evidence leads the overwhelming number of scholars to think Mark was written first. Scholars have shown that there is a literary dependence of Matthew and Luke upon Mark’s gospel, and where they diverge from Mark they do so based upon other accounts of the life of Jesus, mainly a supposed document called “Q” (or Quelle, for source), containing the sayings of Jesus.

Murdock claims Luke was writing to a Theophilus, a bishop in Antioch who wrote an apology called Ad Autolychum (c. 176 A.D.), and that Luke used Josephus in writing his account, from which he derived such things as the census under Quirinius, the death of Herod, and so on. In my opinion these are all dubious claims unsupported by the evidence she offers. Nonetheless, since nothing is at stake for me, I can at least entertain such ideas without the knee jerk reaction that Christians have to these questions about Jesus. And she does provoke thought.

Murdock goes on to explain the sources from which the gospel writers wrote their stories. There is indeed a lot of typology in the New Testament, along with prophecy historicized, as Murdock explains, in the cases of Elijah and Elisha and Old Testament prophecies. After showing us several of these parallels and prophecies she writes:

“In scrutinizing all of the Old Testament ‘prophecies’ that purportedly relate to the coming messiah, it is evident that the gospels were deliberately designed to show that these scriptures had been fulfilled in Jesus Christ. When these and other OT scriptures are studied and seriously considered, therefore, it is logical to ask if they constitute ‘prophecies’ and ‘prefiguring’ of the advent of a historical Jesus Christ - or if they were used as a blueprint in the creation of a fictional messiah." (p. 90).

Hers is a legitimate question, given several examples of how the gospel writers probably created their stories based upon typology and prophecy historicized, a question I am free to entertain. However, it appears to me that the conclusion Jesus as a person never existed goes beyond what evidence we have. With Jeffrey Jay Lowder I believe that there is a prima facie probability that a historical person named Jesus really existed, even if I don’t believe Adam, Eve, Noah, Moses, Joshua, Judas or Joseph of Arimathea existed.

In what I consider the best chapter of her book, Murdock spends 41 pages dealing with the “Questions About the Gospel Story.” She deals with such questions as the implausibility of certain miracles in the gospel stories like the purported virgin birth of Jesus, failed prophecies, chronological discrepancies, erroneous interpretations, and historical errors like Quirinius’ census, "Abiathar or Ahimelech," Mosaic authorship, and so forth. Then in the next chapter she effectively deals with Christian apologetic attempts to deal with these problems.

Why were the Gospels written then? According to Murdock, it was propaganda, not history that motivated the writers. She writes,

“Indeed, an in-depth analysis as found here reveals indications that Christianity as a whole was created for political reasons: Firstly, in order to usurp the gods of other cultures with a Jewish messiah; and secondly, to unify the Roman Empire under one state religion combining Judaism and Paganism.” (p. 154).

Her conclusion from all of this is that

“At most, we could say that the NT represents an inaccurate portrayal based on the best or worst wishes of its composers. At the least, we would have to entertain the thought that the gospel story is fictional.” (p. 168). "The fact is that, when all the evidence is weighed, it would seem irresponsible and unscientific merely to assume the gospel tale as historical, either in part or as a whole. If we are to treat with disdain the myths of other cultures that possess a variety of similar themes and motifs as Christianity, are we not being hypocritical and arrogant, as well as culturally biased, to hold up the patent myths of the Judeo-Christian culture as "real" and "true?" (p. 171).

Apart from the dubious positions of hers I mentioned, I recommend this book. It is provocative and worthy or consideration.

5 comments:

Prup (aka Jim Benton) said...

Here we go again!

No one -- least of all John -- who was around during the previous, unpleasant flap concerning "The Right Reverend Acharya S,International Church of Astrotheology" (as she sometimes styles herself) will be surprised that I entirely disagree here.

Ms. Murdock is a gnostic/mystic with a penchant for conspiracy theories -- including anti-Semitic ones -- and highly dubious sources who has no credible scholarly standing. The problem with her books -- and I have read an earlier (and much shorter) version of this, as well as much of the material on her website is not that she gets 'everything wrong.' In fact, she gets a fair number of things right -- and a fair number of them wrong. The trouble is that without doing the research, it is impossible to tell which of her statements are accurate.

In fact, reading her works is much like reading a book against the Iraq war by a 9/11 denialist. Many of the complaints about the war are legitimate, but the 'over-arching theory' behind them is simply nuts, and using her as a source for anything makes you vulnerable to being attacked for the wilder idiocies she comes up with.

There are so many reputable scholars -- even Christian, if not evangelical ones -- who make the same valid points (I think immediately of Bart Ehrman and Morton Scott Enslin, but there are hundreds of others) that wasting time -- and feeding the coffers of -- Acharya S is totally unnecessary.

(She is also a genius at 'almost saying' something and then, when being challeged on it, backing away from it -- and she loves to make personal attacks -- see the previous thread where she blasted me using obvious sock puppets. I expect yet another bloody battle here -- I'd rather spend more productive time commenting but refuse to let her absurdities and misstatements be hung around our neck like the stinking albatrosses they are.)

Anonymous said...

Readers should know that I merely reviewed this one particular book of hers, and I expressed some serious reservations about several of her claims. I have not read anything else by her and I make no claims about other things she writes, except that I also have serious reservations about astrotheology. I claim her book provokes thought, and for that I recommend it. For anyone who desires a book that is "right about everything" he can simply write his own book.

Still, Prup asks an important question. Is a book that has some good points mixed with error worthy to recommend? I think so, especially when I specified what I considered her errors, and since there isn't a book I know of where I agree with everything an author writes.

Prup (aka Jim Benton) said...

Sorry, John, that I have to be so strongly in disagreement here. I am sure I could find a Trotskyite writer who made criticisms of America I would find valid, or a National Front or neo-Nazi paper that published an article on the absurdities of the (mis)application of multiculturalism that I would agree with. But I couldn't write an article recommending them because I would know where their criticisms came from.

Last year a (then)-atheist ran for the Attorney Generalship of Alabama. He was also a neo-Nazi anti-Semite and somewhat to the right of Judge Roy Moore. (He has since converted to Christianity, btw.) Could I cheer his campaign because of his atheism, or condemn him? (For that matter, I consider Madelyn Murray O'Hair as one of the prime kooks of our time, as much as I celebrated her court victories. Could I include her writings on my recommended readings list?)

No John, sometimes the 'enemy of my enemy' is worse than my enemy, and this is one of them.

I know of no book I don't have some disagreements with either -- hope you remember that comment after I've read yours (;-)-- but that's not the sort of thing I'm talking about here.

Anonymous said...

Prup, just as I have serious reservations about some of Murdock's claims, I also have serious reservations about your claims about her, especially the neo-Nazi analogies to her. From past experience it seems more likely to me that you are a black and white type thinker who requires other people to agree totally with you, or you attack them, and I find that strange coming from someone like you who espouses freethinking.

Anonymous said...

In my last comment I don't mean to suggest that Prup usually attacks anyone he disagrees with personally.