Christians Really Can Be Reasoned Out of Their Faith!

For people who think we cannot reason people out of their faith here is a testimony from Dale Morgan on Facebook (used with permission):
I just wanted to take some time and thank you. I grew up in an extremely religious background (becoming “saved” at age five) and attended church twice a week and private Christian school for several years. I lived and breathed Christianity, often going out and trying to persuade others to convert to what I thought was the ultimate truth. When I became a teenager, I began to have a lot of questions regarding the Christian faith and I was given apologetic books and resources by the likes of apologists such as Copan, Geisler, and Craig. It was actually from this exposure to apologetics that I began learning the basics of logic and reasoning. While their answers seemed to sate my curiosity at the time, it wasn’t until a few years later that I began to seriously question my faith after having to take a symbolic logic course in order to graduate at my college.

The non-demeaning, matter of fact tone of Why I Became an Atheistallowed me to have psychological comfort from dogmatic notions like hell and torment while allowing myself to objectively question the validity of what I had believed-nearly unquestionably-for the majority of my life. It was also easy to understand even though I have no real background in philosophy (although this book has fueled my interest in it considering the amount of philosophers quoted). I was also afraid that the apologetical arguments mentioned in the book would be misrepresented and it was absolutely refreshing to see their arguments accurately presented and cited before thoroughly deconstructing them (many of which were quoted from the very same books I had read as a teen).

After reading the book in it’s entirety (and it’s quite a read as there is a lot in Christianity to critique), I never looked at my inherited, taken-for-granted beliefs the same way again. Learning about The Outsider Test for Faithallowed me to apply the same level of skepticism I had always had about other competing faiths to my own. It was an extremely difficult but liberating process and I feel I have adopted a far more consistent and evidence-based approach on life.

I've since read The Christian Delusionand The End of Christianity.These books are excellent additions to Why I Became An Atheist as they provided the historical context in both the stories mentioned in the Bible as well as the surrounding culture at the time, while also tracking the cultural evolution and changes Christianity has endured over the centuries. True to the spirit of skepticism, all three are very well cited in their arguments, encouraging the reader to dive deeper and check the validity for themselves. Hands down, scrutinizing my own faith has been one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences I’ve ever had and these books allowed me to be intellectually honest with myself and truly question everything. Before, I was on the fence about my faith, but thanks to the insight your books provided, I've since made the jump into grounded reason and have no regrets in doing so.
-------------------

Edit. Here is the discussion on Facebook:

0 comments: