A Serious Question From a New Deconvert

How does someone know that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible, absolute truth, perfect word of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omni-benevolent, perfect God?


His full first comment is this:
This is my first post on this blog. I am a new ex-believer. I took the Bible too seriously, and as a result I ended up abandoning my faith. I had been one of the most fundamentalist of fundamentalists. I had set out to "contend for THE faith that was once and for all delivered unto the saints". My conviction was that there was only one genuine, true Biblical Christianity, and my life goal was to find it, possess it, defend it and propagate it. I ultimately found out that the "emperor had no clothes" and that Christianity debunks itself. I was committed to searching the truth, wherever it may lead me. I suppose I was maybe honest and humble enough to acknowledge the facts and that I had lived in a delusion and abandon it. Probably two of the rarest thing in the world are honesty and humility.
To cut a long story short, Now I have become a street epistemologist (to borrow the expression from Peter Boghossian).

I just begin with this question: "How does someone know that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible, absolute truth, perfect word of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omni-benevolent, perfect God?"

Maybe you've discussed this question somewhere on this blog already. Please point me to that discussion, because I am interested to see the answers and arguments that christians give to that. Can they do anything else than circular reasoning? (e.g. because the Bible says so, because someone told me, because of the testimony of the Holy Spirit, because of the "fact" of the Resurrection of Jesus, etc) LINK

0 comments: