Cheryl Pulliam's Comments on Ken's Funeral

I've written about my friend Ken's death before, both here where I announced it, and here about his funeral. Cheryl, his widow, expressed her thanks to me on Facebook for our thoughts and kindness, below:
I think the service went well. There were well over 100 people most of which were related to his mother one way or another. Several relatives from his dad's side and then maybe 20 people or so there for me and the kids. Two of Kenny's childhood friends were there as well.

The kids and I each had written memorials read by my sister n law. His niece wrote a beautiful piece that she read and his mother spoke of her memories mostly of him as a child. I chose the song "To where you are" sung by Josh Groban that was piped in. It's such a beautiful piece. My mother in law chose the song "Precious Memories" which was played by her church pianist. At the gravesite I recited a poem and then had the lowering of casket while a four minute version of "Free Bird" was played from a cd sung by Lynard Skynard. Kenny's favorite band was LS and favorite song was "Free Bird".

The basket from your group was so beautiful. I am going to plant the potted mums and others in a good spot in the yard.

Please let everyone know how beautiful the plants were and that their kindness and thoughtfulness is so appreciated. It warms my heart to know that you all thought so highly of my husband.
I had the floral company pick out the arrangement below, which they called a Eurogarden basket. The order consisted of two mums (yellow & orange), Crotan, Rubber Tree plant & Bannana leaf Crotan in a larger wicker basket. Thanks to everyone who donated!



Josh Groban "To Where You Are"



Willie Nelson "Precious Memories"



Lynyrd Skynyrd "Free Bird"

3 comments:

nazani said...

I don't see that there's any strong need for women leaders in an atheist movement. Anyone who plays a role in preventing the intrusion of religion into politics and education is doing their part. I even have trouble thinking of atheism as a movement. For me it's more of an opt-out from a lot of nonsense.

So why aren't women atheists more outspoken? Well, everyday society has special ways of punishing non-believing women. I believe there's an episode of Wife Swap where the Christian harpies descend upon a woman whose idea of God doesn't meet their Biblical standards.

Anonymous said...

nazani, you posted a comment in the wrong place.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Cheryl for sharing about Ken's service. It sounds like it was very well done and very honoring to him.

He won't be forgotten by his internet friends.