Quote of the Day, By Russ

Wow! Now here's something to ponder from Russ:
So, why might I hate Christianity so much? Hmmm, let me see.

Christianity observably doesn't work. The whole fable-based structure of Christianity is a lie. I hate lies. I hate liars. I hate those who lie to children. I hate those who sponge off the benefits of science while trying to destroy it. I hate people who rape children and I hate people who do not have the moral fortitude to stop supporting rapists. I hate those who exacerbate plagues like the African AIDS plague to achieve religious conquest. I hate people who have allowed themselves to be so morally weakened by religion that they would kill their children at the urging of a Christian clergyman. I hate people who would allow their children to die from easily treated afflictions. I hate people who deny science to prop up old superstitions and magical thinking. I hate frauds and cheats and charlatans. I hate people who use today's technology to deceive. I hate people who take money from others knowing the money is desperately needed by the one giving it. I hate that people who infuse rot into the mind of a child with observably useless superstitions like prayers and observably impotent gods.

That's just a start. Among the Christianities there is a whole lot to hate.

2 comments:

Eric J.S. said...

I never have hate for a person. I am disgusted with Christianity in some of the same ways this fellow is. I have respect for people who are bought into Christianity because the feelings inherent with believing a personal god and community. Many freethinkers seek community to the point of making non-profits and some calling their institutions churches. It is like the reason Unitarian Universalists may have many humanists among its congregation, even atheists.

The atrocities of Christianity are inevitable result of its absolutisms on faith adherence, group think, and community pressure. I like some of what Jesus said as ethical principles in regards to his time and place, but the many Christians who have absolute ethics, belittle of human good, and lie in the abyss of certainty about everything have the very opposite worldview I believe conducive to human flourishing.

Papalinton said...

Hi Eric S..J.
You say, ..."I have respect for people who are bought into Christianity because the feelings inherent with believing a personal god and community....." and,
..."but the many Christians who have absolute ethics, belittle of human good, and lie in the abyss of certainty about everything have the very opposite worldview I believe conducive to human flourishing."

Papalinton
Eric, your statements are classic examples of the stupidity and inanity of subscribing to the christianities extant. They reflect the irreconcilable nature of attempting to read anything of consistent value out the the very exact same book that produces christians that you respect and those you abhor. Who is to say which has the right interpretation?
This is not a criticism of your perspective; rather it is an indictment on the very book that perpetuates such division, insularity and hatred in society. It is an indictment on a tome that through history has been a party to doing some good but in equal measure has permitted great atrocities; from which both the proponents for good and the perpetrators of barbarity have, with ease, found passages that justify their exclusive, allegedly inalienable and positively irrational claims. [God said it, the bible confirms it, I believe it. End of argument]. What a killer of reason? What a destroyer of civil discourse in the community? It is a tome notorious for the way it can be applied so indiscriminately, so callously. It is unreliable. It is telling us the book can not and should not be trusted to give consistent, just, fair, ethical and moral instruction to contemporary society. In has well and truly passed is use-by date to address the complex issues in modern society.
I am as disgusted and disappointed as you with the absolutist manner in which this book is utilised.
The great problem is, it is not for us to sort out the good christian from the bad christian. That is an impossible and unnecessary task. The greatest salvation for society is to continue the work on weaning the community off this book and have it placed on the library self in the Mythology section where it rightly belongs, with all the other great mythical superheroes [Dionysius, Zeus, Attis] of past times.

Cheers