Still Another Christian Takes the Debunking Christianity Challenge

I'm becoming encouraged as Christians, one after another, are showing me they are really interested in the truth. How can they be if they never actually read the opposing literature? I have read and taught the other side and I claim the other side had better arguments. And I'm challenging Christians to do the same. If they come away thinking otherwise, then so be it. At least this shows they are interested in the truth.

John,

I commented a few weeks back. I have been "lurking" on the blog ever since. Reading everything, but yet to leave another comment. I first want to say to you that I applaud your effort to dialogue with atheists and theists alike. I wish more folks were more willing to talk and less likely to attack.

I ordered your book and it should be here within a day or two. This is the book you suggested someone start with when taking you up on the challenge. So, I am saying that to say, I'm taking you up on the challenge.

My background - degree in Religious Education, MA in Youth Ministry, currently in my 2nd year of a PhD in Family Science. The teens I work with a lot of questions and they deserve intellectual thought out answers, rather than the quick-to-mind patented Bible answers they have always received.

I will be honest...I'm not expecting my opinion to change. But, you are right, I like many others have only studied from one point of view. I pledge that I will be open, and will do my very best (I'm a work in progress mind you) to read and seek with a clear mind, rather than from a defensive mindset.

I will reopen my blog after your book arrives and try to keep a running tab on what I'm experiencing.

I hope that my daughter (now 7 weeks old) will be able to learn from my experience to take nothing at face value and to study hard, and think for herself. Thank you for the challenge.

Cheers,
Bobby

Bobby's comment is the sixth one down after this post.
Surely there are others! Come on, what do you have to lose? If your faith survives you could be a great apologist and defender of the faith as well as knowing what you believe is true. If not, then you're faith was not something worth having in the first place. It's a win/win situation. You will be much better informed and education is its own reward.

5 comments:

Micah said...

John,

I have a close friend of mine who is also going to take the challenge. He's going to blog about his time, just like I am. I'll let everyone know when he begins. We are thinking about getting a website together to host both of our thoughts. We are supposed to talk about the details this weekend.

Just wanted you to know you can expect another Christian to accept the challenge.

Elliot11 said...

Mr. Loftus, I reckon the chance of our written debate in a forum is somewhat remote - may I borrow this corner to articulate your take on Evil - your strongest chapters in your book Why I Became Atheist. In short, I am NOT arguing that we need a God as a morality measurement Index, but applying the Totally No God Atheism Test TONGAT that if there is no God, that means Evil is part of humanity => if Evil is part of humanity, evil is no longer evil (ontological). Well, if there is a (absolute good) God, at least evil is still evil. To reiterate, I am not referring to the old argument we need an measurement ruler measuring the extent of evil in relating to goodness, my attempt is at least to ground the core being of evil. I respectfully ask you to contemplate the above as you ask Christians to take the DC challenge, on an equal term basis. Thank you for your time and space.

dguller said...

Elliot11:

You wrote:

“if there is no God, that means Evil is part of humanity => if Evil is part of humanity, evil is no longer evil (ontological). Well, if there is a (absolute good) God, at least evil is still evil.”

I wonder about your premise, “if Evil is part of humanity, evil is no longer evil (ontological)”. What precisely do you mean by ontological evil? Why is that even a necessary concept to justify our experience of evil as something to avoid and minimize? Is there an ontological pain and suffering, too, or is the simple phenomenological experience of pain and suffering sufficient to justify taking action to attenuate it as much as possible?

Thanks.

Ben Teigland said...

Do not open your mind. It is a pandora box. Once you open it, there is no turning back!

You may be happier in the long run if you do . . . but it will not be easy.

Elliot11 said...

Dear dguller,
Thank you for your response. I hope and assume you have read Mr. Loftus Why I Became Atheist book the chapters on evil. My comment being read on it own could be confusing and misleading. 2ndly, I put a comment and went out working in the morning and came back just now. Sorry for the late response. To continue the debate, please send me email emosekho@yahoo.com, I prefer not to borrow Mr. Loftus's space, plus I don't have the capacity sitting in front of my PC, press Refresh and wait for new response. Thank you again to Guller and Mr. Loftus. Elliot.